1 a state in which everything seems wrong and will turn out badly; "they were rescued from despair at the last minute" [syn: desperation]
2 the feeling that everything is wrong and nothing will turn out well [ant: hope] v : abandon hope; give up hope; lose heart; "Don't despair--help is on the way!" [ant: hope]
- To give up as beyond hope or expectation; to despair of (obsolete).
- transitive obsolete To cause to despair.
- To be hopeless; to have no hope; to give up all hope or expectation.
to despair of
- Hebrew: להתייאש (lehitiaesh)
to cause to despair
- Hebrew: לייאש (leiaesh)
- Loss of hope; utter hopelessness; complete despondency.
- He turned around in despair, aware that he was not going to survive
- That which is despaired of.
Despair or Hopelessness is the loss of hope. It can also refer to:
- Despair (novel), a 1936 novel by Vladimir Nabokov
- Despair, Inc., a company that makes satirical posters and souvenirs
- Despair (Sandman), a character in the Sandman series of comic books
- Giant Despair, a character in The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
- Despair (band), a technical thrash metal band
- Mount Despair, a mountain in the North Cascades National Park
Schmerz, Slough of Despond, abandon, abandon hope, acedia, aching heart, agony, agony of mind, anguish, apathy, bale, become suicidal, bitterness, blank despondency, bleeding heart, broken heart, cave of Trophonius, cave of despair, crushing, death wish, dejectedness, dejection, depression, depth of misery, desolation, despair of, desperateness, desperation, despond, despondency, despondentness, disconsolateness, discouragement, disheartenment, dispiritedness, distress, down trip, downcastness, downer, downheartedness, droop, drooping spirits, drop, extremity, falter, forlornness, give up, give up hope, give way, gloom, gloominess, grief, heartache, heartlessness, heavy heart, hit rock bottom, hopelessness, infelicity, languish, lose heart, lose hope, low spirits, lowness, lowness of spirit, malaise, melancholia, melancholy, miserableness, misery, no exit, no way, no way out, oppression, pessimism, plumb the depths, prostration, quit, reach the depths, relinquish, renounce, resign, resignation, sadness, self-destructive urge, sink, sink into despair, sinking heart, sloth, spiritlessness, suicidal despair, surrender, taedium vitae, touch bottom, weariness of life, woe, wretchedness, yield, yield to despair